We can’t possibly list every type of criminal case that the firm handles, but here are examples of the kinds of cases we have handled:
- Homicides and Other Crimes of Violence: Violent crimes carry the stiffest penalties and are among the most complex cases in the criminal justice system. Often, the fate of a person accused of such a crime will turn on the credibility of witnesses and/or the admissibility of evidence. Impeaching the testimony of a key witness or obtaining a favorable ruling on a critical piece of evidence requires preparation, creativity, and skill. This approach has become our hallmark in defending clients accused of violent crimes, including those facing allegations of vehicular homicide, manslaughter, and murder.
- Sex Offenses: A sex offense conviction can be a life-altering event even where incarceration is avoided. In addition to confinement, people accused of these crimes have to be concerned about all of the possible consequences, including having to register as a sex offender. Because the stakes are so high, we devote considerable attention to discovery motions designed to give us the factual tools we need to attack the prosecution’s case. We also rely upon skilled investigators and respected experts to ensure that each client receives the best possible defense.
- Narcotics Offenses: Through the years, we have successfully represented clients accused of a wide range of drug offenses, including possession, distribution, trafficking, and conspiracy. Part of this success stems from an understanding of the role addiction frequently plays in criminal behavior. When appropriate, we help our clients in addressing their substance use issues while also fighting hard to win their criminal cases. We never lose sight of the big picture and have convinced prosecutors to reduce charges by showing them how a conviction would adversely affect a client’s employment, housing benefits, driving privileges, and/or immigration status.
- Federal Investigations / Crimes: If you or someone you know has received a visit from a government agent or been served with a grand jury subpoena, immediate legal assistance is advisable. When clients contact us early enough in the process, our zealous advocacy can often minimize their exposure or altogether prevent the issuance of formal criminal charges. Our lawyers have extensive experience representing people accused a vast array of crimes in federal court.
- Public Employees: Past firm clients include teachers, police officers, firefighters, and other public servants who have faced a wide variety of criminal charges, as well as allegations public misconduct. Public employees have special concerns, such as retirement benefits and state licensure requirements, that make it essential for them to have lawyers who understand the ins and outs of their cases.